Today I got a battered old model SX70. It's a very nice first gen but with the split viewfinder and had the old stripes on the lens. Someone did the genius move of forcing open the camera with a screwdriver bending the erecting arm (snicker snicker) and putting a crinkle on the body. Not only that, but the geartrain was out of sync by a tooth. It prevented the recock arm (snicker snicker) from returning to its resting position thus screwing up the shutter and the camera's ability to complete a full cycle. I'm thinking this was dropped at some point in time and someone second hand never had a users manual to learn how to open it up. So, a full chassis and geartrain teardown was done. I rebuilt the geartrain using some donor parts, replaced the mangled erecting arm, and adjusted some fit and finish, did a reskin, and BLAM! A second chance for a beautiful little camera. He still shows a little ding on the back hood but that's a HUGE fix that requires a donor. The pukka bump adds character if you ask me. I still need to do some cleaning and some minor adjustments but this one's just about ready for a new home. :)
Here's the operating room... I need a good soldering iron. the one I have isn't bad but I've used a sweet Weller before. Soldering heaven. I need to get out more.