Friday, June 7, 2013

Some Time Off - 2 New Fixers in the Shop

It's been quite a while since the last post. Dubbs and I took a week off of our daytime work schedule to take our old VW bus on a 1500 mile roadtrip visiting and camping in Ohiopyle, PA, Louisville, KY, and Cleveland, OH (my hometown). Needless to say it was a blast and we had a great week. We also got a lot of repair requests during the week which was nice. It was good to look forward to a few jobs when we got home.

So back to business... I finished up 2 repairs this week, both Model 1s, one easy, the other a bit difficult. Lets start with the trouble maker, an early Model 1 Goodwill purchase from a customer in Indiana. This camera definitely was used and well loved. It was in great shape but needed quite a few adjustments. As I mentioned before, repairs are easy... adjustments aren't. In fact, I was just about to ship this when a few pictures I had taken earlier had me a bit concerned. So I unpacked it and fixed a new electric eye filter on the faceplate... a lot of the pics were coming out very overexposed, even for IP film but the new filter compensated.

Next is a late cost reduced Model 1 from here in New York. I realyreallyreally like this camera. I'm a sucker for the black/silver look and the Model 1 black and silvers are pretty rare. Aside from needing a new faceplate (old one cracked) not much was needed on this guy but a thorough cleaning and a reskin. That's it. Done. :)

So we're looking forward to finishing up more repairs. I'd like to switch gears in the next week or so and put to rest the difference between a Model 1 and an Alpha 1, hopefully give some updates on what's up with 'The King', and even post some of our own Polaroid pics. Thanks to this week's customers and we hope you enjoy your cameras and that they work well for years to come. time for PICS!!!

I have to sneak in a pic of our 1971 VW Westfalia at camp. Much like working on cameras, it's been a blast to work on the bus. The Grand Wagoneer is my buddy's. He's a car nut too. Old stuff is cool.


Here's Goodwill... teardown, cleanup, and the final product. I really like how it turned out in the long run... gotta make it right.









































Finally, here's the black/silver Model 1 from teardown to final product. I like to add a little extra so I offered to replace the bottom cover so that the customer could add a strap. Pretty cool little detail if I do say so myself.






No comments:

Post a Comment